Thursday, February 03, 2005

ASSUMPTIONS II

Back to my 400-piece jigsaw puzzle of cartoon dragons overrunning a comical map of Europe, I notice how many different pieces there are and how different they all look.

Take this piece of rock, for example. If I look at it, I would assume the puzzle is about waves crashing into rocks. Take this piece of while columns. If I look at it, I would assume the puzzle is about the leaning tower of Pisa.

How often we look around us and assume that the world looks like our own neighborhood. How often we forget that the reality we take for granted might be eclipsed by technology, just as they were created by technology that eclipsed past realities.

The world is a bigger place than our own piece of the puzzle. Take the time to look around, to understand different places and times, and see how your piece of the puzzle fits into the greater plan.